Sunday, February 21, 2010

Adventures in Tech Land


Technology. What is it? According to dictionary defination it is:
–noun
  1. the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society,and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science.
  2. the terminology of an art, science, etc.; technical nomenclature.
  3. a technological process, invention, method, or the like.
  4. the sum of the ways in which social groups provide themselves with the material objects of their civilization.
What I think is that technology is simply to make things easier.

Technology should always be in the background and not in the forefront screaming for attention. How many of us have hi-tech gadgets and only use a small fraction of its capabilities. From our HD DVD players right to our mobile phones and to our laptops, we have to learn a lot of operating systems, just to operate them.

Even in using web apps, we need to know how to configure it. From Facebook to Gmail to rss readers, it can sometime be overwhelming. I use a lot of online apps like Gmail, Google docs, Google reader and a plethora of others. I store a lot of documents online. What I can automate, I would have done it. Like this post. I writing it on my Gmail client, emailed it and it will update to all my social sites.

In my facebook account, it will appear in the Notes and on the wall and it will generate a twitter on my twitter account. Then it will be posted into my blog at blogspot and into my Picasa (if there are pictures) and to my ebook storage (if there are pdfs attached). It will also update my linkedin status. Finally it goes into my Google Buzz. Complicated isn't it.

The good thing about it, its all free. Your commitment is only to find the time to read about all the technical details and tweaking the settings. Some are obvious, almost all are obscure. I wonder if there are fees to be paid, how many would use it?

Would you pay a monthly fee for Facebook? Or Gmail? Facebook have 400 million active users. At just $1 per month, they can easily generate $400,000,000 in a month.

I do not have a Microsoft office, instead I use Open Office.

Initially I have a lot of faith in the so called "cloud computing". I was already using gmail. Then back in 2006 an earthquake struck Taiwan which results in the internet being disrupted. I was left high and dry simply because nearly all my stuff is up in the clouds.

Now I maintained and offline backup of all my documents.

In fact you should always have an offline copy of your stuff. Governments, even the so called "bastion of free speech Western countries" can and will cut your internet access. Be wary of any devices that only let you store your stuff online, you might and can be selectively cut off.

Today, I spend the whole day exploring this social media phenomenon. There are so many possibilities. Later on, I'll be posting on how to set up each individual accounts. All you need to do, I just simply read and follow. I will be doing it step by step until you will have a strong web presence. Just key in "Gazali's Thoughts" in google in you get what I mean.

Don't worry it will not be complicated, I'll strip away the jargon and make it easier.

That's why the next development in IT should just simply let you get things done without figuring how to do it. It should be like a car, all you need to do is just turn the ignition on and drive, Maintenance? The car simply reminds you when it need to be serviced.





































Technorati claim token KBHYAHUGHX4Z

No comments:

Post a Comment