Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Living

To appreciate life is to understand that death is part and parcel of it. In His great wisdom, we would not know when is our life due.

Does dying early means an untimley death or living a long life means you have so called "enjoy life". A measure most people use is how long have someone lived. Yet the more important thing that we should realize is, how much have we contributed.

I remembered the day my dad died. It was in the evening and it was raining. I was just finishing my work when I heard the news. I have not known my dad well enough, only in his later years, fragments of his memory came alive.

He told me he was once a hawker; a sailor; and who were his friends. The places he grew up in. I knew he was married before and divorced, my mum was his second wife. He had children, and up to this day, I do not know who they are. I do not know any of his brothers or sisters.

He was from Malaysia and decided to move and stay in Singapore. That was way back in 1937. I did not exist back then. Whatever had happened, he changed his surname. At his death, his surname was changed back to what it was once.

Every life is meaningful and contributes in its own unique way.

All of us face the great leveler, death. Friends and relatives have passed away before me. Do I feel sad? Only when I think about it.

Today another death of a relative. I just visited him yesterday, he was weak, and I instinctively knew. I didn't say much. I do not know how one would receive the inevitable.

This morning my brother SMS me and told me that his father in law heart is weak and they are moving him to the ICU. I told him to recite the Yassin chapter from the Quran, and let Him in his Infinite Wisdom, do what's best.

Later in the afternoon, God loves his slave more and free him of his suffering.

Allah (S.W.T) says in the Quran:
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful



Who say, when afflicted with calamity:
"To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return"

No comments:

Post a Comment