Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No shortcuts

One of the truism in life. You will not get ahead unless you put in the effort. I'm not going say "to work smart" or "to work hard" cliche.

Everything will simply fail when you look for a shortcut. There is nothing inherently wrong in taking a shortcut, it becomes, suspect, when you start thinking of doing less and getting more. Up to the point, that it will be "auto-generated".

A friend of a friend of mine, is brilliant in doing this kind of work. He excels in web programming. What he does, he writes a script and aggregates news feed to his blog. That's fine initially, until the readers found out it is just spewing and regurgitating recycle muck from the Internet. What happens? Less and less viewers.

As they say, content is king. It has to be original and from you. Not from some disconnected feeds, nor from some article base. Anyway the advantage of writing you own material is that, you won't be accused of plagiarism.

A couple of weeks back, one of my friend was excited about a program he found. I already knew, have seen so much since, though I always keep an open ear. "EASY, FAST, AND SAVES TIME AND MONEY" screamed the headline. So I asked him what is it really about.

He is not one of those techies, and he can't explain it. He told me all he needs to do is provide an email. I smiled, "That's the hook". True enough it wasn't free, there is a price attached to it.

"Should I?", "You should!"

Weeks later, I met him again.

"How was it?",

"Why didn't you tell me not to do it?"

I explained to him that it was just a lesson. Sometimes the best way to learn is experiencing it yourself, so it will be internalize. I have my fair share of scams foisted on me.

I explained to him about the tech side of things, and he realized its not his forte. We laughed about it and my friend came out wiser, I'm sure he will spread the message. Don't commit until you understand what you are getting into.

In every industry, there will always be a top performer. She is always passionate about what she is doing. The thought of doing it easier, never crossed her mind. And she will be paid top dollars for it.

The thing that I would like to stress is that there is always work to be done. When you give all your heart and soul, things naturally fits in.

Anyway other way will simply not work. There is no such thing as something for nothing.

For me, I have always been writing, on everything, from bits and scraps of paper to notebooks. Thoughts form in my mind instantaneously and like a raging river. I have to drink cups of coffee, at night, just to calm my mind, else I can't sleep.

Its always coffee black and no sugar, used to be with a cigarette or two before I learn how to control it. Took me 6 tries. Now I am not addicted to smoking. I can turn it on and off like a switch.

This blog is a natural progression.

People do fall for the same old tricks over and over again. These words and phrases carry a very powerful emotional concoction.
  • More money.
  • Free.
  • Less work.
  • Vacation everyday.
  • Kids, family, loved ones.
  • Quality time.
  • And many more.
Use it in combination and voila you get a emotionally charged landing page that can motivate you to take action.

The question to ask, "Does it fit naturally into my character?"

No comments:

Post a Comment